Under FinancesOnline.com, the global web hosting services market was about $102 billion in 2020. And the specified branch is going to reach $321 bln by 2025. Moreover, specialists predict that the described market will grow by 18% annually from 2020 to 2027. Such a trend is particularly true for clients who hold e-commerce businesses. Some company owners have difficulties when choosing virtual hosting services, though.
Experts advise entrepreneurs to apply dedicated servers to launch huge projects. That may be, for instance, a gaming platform or an online portal with high daily attendance (more than 20,000 visitors per day). Business holders may visit specific websites (e.g., ishosting.com) to learn more about dedicated servers. And below a short description of the mentioned service is offered.
What Is a Dedicated Server?
Actually, this is a physical medium that’s rented by a client. Usually, such facilities are leased by corporate customers. Also, the clients obtain root access to the specified equipment. So, such physical mediums are under the full control of a corporate customer.
Advantages of a Dedicated Server
The mentioned virtual equipment employment significantly decreases the probability of unauthorized access to stored information. Nay, a dedicated server meaning implies the following pros:
- Availability of all server capacities. Here is no necessity to share the rented equipment with other users.
- Smooth operation. There’s quite a low probability of sudden capacity severe shortage. Thus, such servers provide their users with stable work and high performance.
- Wide opportunities for web specialists. Such employees may install various software or operating systems as well as make any settings.
All the above increases website page loading speed and helps avoid different lags related to technical problems. However, it’s better to buy dedicated server by contacting a reputable provider (such as is*hosting). That’s because doubtful companies frequently propose low-quality services at high prices.
Cons of Dedicated Servers
Initially, it’s worth noting that the described services are pretty expensive. This is due to the following things:
- Subscription price. The latter is much higher than tariff plans of shared hosting or VPS.
- The necessity of hiring IT specialists. A dedicated server meaning involves fulfilling all updates and other needed technical operations on the clients’ own. So, customers have to hire experienced developers to maintain the rented facilities.
- Risk of downtime if something gets wrong. However, that’s fair solely if a customer doesn’t have qualified IT specialists to fix problems.
Also, experts note that the described physical mediums require proper set-up of an offsite backup. Otherwise, clients may just lose valuable data, e.g., if the HDD goes wrong. However, customers may entrust all that to a provider if the latter offers appropriate services.
What Is the Difference Between a Dedicated Server and a VPS?
Simply put, a virtual private server is a part of a dedicated server. So, the latter may contain several VPS. This doesn’t mean that VPS holders have to share computing capacities with other users. It has specific limitations, though.
Thus, VPS suits small and middle virtual projects. For example, it is a perfect choice for start-ups. But it’s still better to pick dedicated servers for hefty projects that demand much data storage and simply work with a large online audience.
Do I Need A Dedicated Server for My Website?
Entrepreneurs certainly should rent such virtual equipment if they are going to:
- install specific OS or software;
- improve their sites’ operation;
- set up apps that require much virtual space;
- scale their online businesses;
- use powerful computing software;
- build their own IT infrastructure;
- launch huge virtual projects.
Furthermore, entrepreneurs can employ dedicated servers to increase their websites’ security levels. That’s because the described services are typically offered by providers that own certified data centers and hold qualified IT specialists who maintain the proposed equipment.